top of page
Search

One-Hundred Percent

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8 NRSV


Do you remember the Magic 8 Ball? You would ask this novelty toy a yes or no question and then turn it upside down to reveal the response of the twenty-sided dice. There was a 50% chance of receiving an affirmative answer, 25% of a negative, and 25% uncertain. It was great fun as a toy, but you certainly wouldn't make any life decisions based on its predictive abilities.


The answers to the myriad problems facing the world today are as reliable as a Magic 8 Ball. Using what they consider relevant data and complicated numeric models, experts provide probabilities and statistics to predict everything from the impact of artificial intelligence to global warming and rising sea levels. Regardless of how sophisticated these prediction models are, there is always an element of uncertainty.


There is only one thing that is 100% predictable: the unchangingness of Jesus Christ. He will be the same in the future as he has been in our past and now. We can trust his continual compassion, mercy, and love. He is consistent and dependable amid the chaos and disorder of the world around us. In these days of anxiety and uncertainty, we find assurance in Isaiah 41:10, "do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."


God, thank you for your permanency. Amid the confusion and turmoil of the world, you are our one consistency. Your love for us “was,” “is,” and "will be" without end. We ask forgiveness for those times we have forgotten how much you care. Please help us to share the joy of your forever sameness with others. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.


Blessings,

Pastor Tim


2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page