Search

Sameness

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8 NRSV


Do you remember the Magic Eight Ball? You would ask it a yes or no question and then turn it upside down to reveal the response. There was a 50% chance of receiving an affirmative answer, 25% of a negative, and 25% uncertain. It was great fun as a toy, but you certainly wouldn't make any life decisions based on its predictive abilities.


It feels like the events happening in the world around us are reliable as a Magic Eight Ball. We hear analysis based on experts’ statistics, not always impartial, who attempt to predict everything from when COVID-19 will end to today's weather forecast. Using selected data the crunch the complicated numeric models trying to foresee future events. Our experience has often shown us how unreliable those predictions can be.


The one thing we can count on, the one thing that never changes, is Jesus Christ. He will be the same in our future as he has been in our past and is right now. We can rely 100% on his strength, compassion, and love. He is consistent and dependable amid the seeming chaos. In our days of uncertainty and anxiety, we find these words of assurance in Isaiah 41:10, "do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."


God, we give thanks for your sameness. Amid turmoil and confusion, you are our one consistency. Your love for “was,” “is,” and will be without end. We ask forgiveness for those times we have forgotten your goodness. Please help us to share the joy of your forever sameness with others. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.


How has God helped you in the past? How do you need his help today? What do you want him to do for you in the future?


Blessings!

Pastor Tim


8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All